Reuse To Go
Take-out food and beverages come with an unhealthy side of trash.
When you bring your own to-go cups and containers, you can reduce pollution and waste from single-use disposables. Whether you simply refuse a straw with your drink, bring your own reusable mug to the coffee shop, or use an entire zero-waste reuse to go kit for every take-out experience, each action you take adds up to make a big difference.
Everyday ways to reduce waste:
- Bring your Own (BYO) refillable cup, mug or bottle for all to-go drinks!
- Next time you go out for food or coffee, consider dining-in on reusable dishware or request a mug at a major coffee chain
- Simply refuse the straw
- Just say NO to plastic utensils and condiment packages for to-go orders or delivery
- Use cloth napkins
- Turn empty jars into containers for leftover food
- Use cloth cleaning towels
- Reuse boxes
- Purchase refillable pens
- Use cloth diapers instead of disposables
- Buy products made from recycled materials
- Support businesses that are implementing disposable packaging reduction practices.
Need help to remember?
Try these tips to help you remember to bring your reusable…
- Hang bags on your doorknob
- Stick a reminder on the door
- Keep bags in the car, in the trunk or backseat; remember that your unloading chore is not complete until the bags are back in the car
- Keep a spare bag folded up in your purse, briefcase, backpack or glove compartment – one bag is better than none!
- Add “Bags” as the first item on your shopping list
- Remember, you don’t need a special bag. Repurpose a beach tote, backpack or duffle bag
- Assign bag duty to your child as your family’s “official bag monitor and shopping assistant” with the task of reminding you to bring your bags into the store
Mugs and water bottles
- Use a carabineer or key chain to attach reusable water bottles to other things you’ll remember, like a purse, tote or lunch bag
- When you wash your mug or bottle each night, put it back with your keys, wallet, glasses, etc. – things you’ll take with you when you leave home each day
- Keep a spare in your purse, gym bag, diaper bag or backpack
- Keep a spare in your car, office or locker
- Stick a reminder on the door
Reuse / Zero Waste Kit
- Keep a kit in your desk, trunk or backpack
- Put it with your keys, phone, wallet, etc. in the usual grab and go spot
- Pack your lunch kit complete with a healthy meal from home
- Make cleaning your to go kit part of your daily routine, complete with returning it to your grab and go spot
Take the Pledge for Chance to Win
Take the pledge for your chance to win a Reuse To Go Kit, valued at over $160.
1 winner will be selected from a random drawing from each of our 9 Bay Area Counties (1 winner per county) from all pledges received by July 1, 2018. Winners will be contacted by July 10, 2018 to arrange delivery.
Your contact information will not be shared or sold; it will only be used to contact you if you are a winner.
There are many things you can do to reduce your trash footprint. Make a pledge to continue doing the ones you already do, and choose the new actions you are willing to commit to.